Reflection and Review...

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

On Monday I started planning a brief for me to follow for this module. This proved to be quite hard as I had to set all the tasks for myself, and state what I wanted myself to achieve from the project.
In textiles I decided to do some dying samples as I had the idea of dying my fabric for the corset. After sampling a few different pigments on various fabric types, I really liked the Olive green shade as it came out very similar to a fabric I had in mind already. This would be a much more cost effective and exciting way of getting my fabric to look the way I want, rather than just choosing a pre-made fabric. After I chose a colour I was drawn to, I started experimenting with different techniques. I used a spray gun to squirt the dyes onto the fabric which meant i was able to blend two colours together, and i also sampled dipping in only one end of the fabric into the dye to let it soak up part of the way. I'm glad I had a sampling session in this class as I was close to ordereing fabric which was quite expencive!

Today in our class with Emma we discussed semotics which is the study of signs. This is helpful in costume as it allows us to look at images of characters we may need to emulate and pull feelings or meanings from them, so we can use them in our costumes.
We also learnt about objective and subjective literary reviews and how to come about them. For next week I need to choose an article or piece of writing and write a brief copy of a literary review for it.

No comments: